CA Redemption Value (CRV)
If possible, please separate materials (cans, glass, and plastic) before arriving at all CRV redemption locations.
Select carbonated and non-carbonated beverages sold in aluminum cans, glass and plastic bottles require a deposit known as the California Redemption Value (CRV). This deposit is redeemable at any certified redemption center.
In addition to redemption centers, there are many retailers that redeem eligible cans and bottles in-store. Please visit www2.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer/InStoreRedemption to find retailers in your area that have pledged to accept empty beverage containers and provide deposit refunds. Customers may redeem up to 50 aluminum, 50 glass, 50 plastic, and 50 bi-metal California Redemption Value (CRV) containers in a single visit and request to be paid by count.
A number of retailers have opted out of in-store redemption by paying a $100 per day fee to CalRecycle. That list can be found here.
The locations listed below the map on this page are CRV recyclers certified through CalRecycle.
Please Note: If a store on this list will not take back your empty containers, email CalRecycle at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-RECYCLE.
The CRV Beverage Container Recycling Program is managed by CalRecycle, a State of California department while individual recycling centers are operated by independent businesses, nonprofits, or local governments. If you have questions or comments regarding the program or the decline of CRV buy-back locations, you can contact CalRecycle's Beverage Container Recycling Program at:
801 K Street, MS 19-01
Sacramento, CA 95814-3533
Phone: (916) 323-3836
Fax: (916) 327-2144
CURRENT CRV PROGRAM RATES (DOWNLOAD)
TIPS FOR VISITING REDEMPTION CENTERS:
- State law requires recycling centers to pay California Redemption Value (CRV) refunds for loads that contain ONLY eligible CRV beverage containers.
- Non-CRV materials must be removed from the load, or at the discretion of the recycling center, the load may be rejected or receive only scrap value. Please recycle your non-CRV materials at drop-off recycling centers that will accept the material or through curbside recycling
- Redeem up to 50 CRV beverage containers of each material type (50 glass, 50 aluminum, 50 plastic) per day by count. More than 50 CRV beverage containers will be redeemed by weight.
ELIGIBLE FOR CRV
- Beer and malt beverages
- Wine coolers and distilled spirit coolers
- Carbonated fruit drinks, water or soft drinks
- Noncarbonated fruit drinks, water or soft drinks
- Coffee & tea beverages
- 100% fruit juice less than 46 oz.
- Vegetable juice 16 oz. or less
- Sports Drinks
NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CRV
- Medical food
- Infant formula
- 100% fruit juice 46 oz. or more
- 100% vegetable juice more than 16 oz.
- Food and other non-beverage containers
Zero Waste Sonoma recently hosted a webinar on changes to the state bottle bill and an update on the Local CRV Pilot Program. The recording is available here.