CA Redemption Value (CRV)
On April 23, 2020, Governor Newsom issued an Executive Order approving a 60-day pause in redemption of beverage containers in stores and a mandate for recycling centers to operate a minimum number of hours. This order has been renewed for an additional 60 days as of June 22, 2020. Some Sonoma County CRV recycling centers listed below are still operating, but if you would like to redeem beverage containers at a grocery store, please call ahead to see if they are able to accommodate your request.
Sonoma County CRV Recyclers require all customers to wear masks and request that gloves be worn when dropping off materials for redemption. In addition, to reduce the time spent at recycling sites, please separate materials (cans, glass, and plastic) before arriving at these locations.
Select carbonated and non-carbonated beverages sold in aluminum cans, glass and plastic bottles require a deposit known as the California Redemption Value (CRV). This deposit is redeemable at any certified redemption center.
In addition to redemption centers, there are many retailers that redeem eligible cans and bottles in-store. Please visit www2.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer/InStoreRedemption to find retailers in your area that have pledged to accept empty beverage containers and provide deposit refunds. The locations listed below the map are CRV recyclers certified through CalRecycle.
Please Note: If a store on this list will not take back your empty containers, email CalRecycle at email@example.com or call 1-800-RECYCLE.
The CRV Beverage Container Recycling Program is managed by CalRecycle, a State of California department while individual recycling centers are operated by independent businesses, nonprofits, or local governments. If you have questions or comments regarding the program or the decline of CRV buy-back locations, you can contact CalRecycle's Beverage Container Recycling Program at:
801 K Street, MS 19-01
Sacramento, CA 95814-3533
Phone: (916) 323-3836
Fax: (916) 327-2144
TIPS FOR VISITING REDEMPTION CENTERS:
- State law requires recycling centers to pay California Redemption Value (CRV) refunds for loads that contain ONLY eligible CRV beverage containers.
- Non-CRV materials must be removed from the load, or at the discretion of the recycling center, the load may be rejected or receive only scrap value. Please recycle your non-CRV materials at drop-off recycling centers that will accept the material or through curbside recycling
- Redeem up to 50 CRV beverage containers of each material type (50 glass, 50 aluminum, 50 plastic) per day by count. More than 50 CRV beverage containers will be redeemed by weight.
ELIGIBLE FOR CRV
- Beer and malt beverages
- Wine coolers and distilled spirit coolers
- Carbonated fruit drinks, water or soft drinks
- Noncarbonated fruit drinks, water or soft drinks
- Coffee & tea beverages
- 100% fruit juice less than 46 oz.
- Vegetable juice 16 oz. or less
- Sports Drinks
NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CRV
- Medical food
- Infant formula
- 100% fruit juice 46 oz. or more
- 100% vegetable juice more than 16 oz.
- Food and other non-beverage containers
Hours listed on this page may change without notice.