Household Hazardous Waste Facility for Businesses

Services are available for businesses that qualify as Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators per regulations (CCR Title 22 §66260.10), which are businesses that generate 100 kilograms (27 gallons liquid or 220 pounds solid) or less of hazardous waste per month. The Agency offers two options: the HHW Facility and HHW Collection Events. These services are available for businesses that generate Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) only; no hazardous waste from manufacturers or large quantities will be accepted.

Please note that the HHW Facility does not collect pressure treated wood or treated wood waste.

There are also options for Sonoma County residents.

Business program at the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility

Located at the Central Disposal Site, the Household Toxics Facility is open for drop-off of hazardous waste from qualifying Sonoma County businesses.

Appointment: Appointment required. To make an appointment, download the following forms and fax to (707) 795-2071 or email and attach the completed questionnaire and inventory forms. If you have any questions, please call the office at (707) 795-2025, cell phone at (707) 364-6927, or toll-free at (877) 747-1870 option 2. Appointment line staffed M-F from 8am to 2:30pm or leave a message.

Appointment line staffed M-F from 8:00A to 2:30P or leave a message.

Hours: T-W 8:30A–1:30P

Location: Central Disposal Site (Bldg. 5) at 500 Mecham Road, Petaluma

Forms & fees: Paperwork required. $25 processing fee plus disposal fees based on type and quantity of waste.

  • California EPA ID Number Required
    State law requires hazardous waste generators to have an EPA Identification Number. All participants of the Business Hazardous Waste Program MUST HAVE an EPA Identification Number to transport hazardous waste to the Household Toxics Facility for disposal. If all you have is latex paint and/or Universal Waste (Fluorescent tubes/bulbs and other mercury-containing lamps, household batteries, rechargeable batteries, button batteries, thermostats, thermometers, non-empty aerosol cans) you do not need an EPA ID number.

Not accepted: Explosives or ammunition • Radioactive materials • Biological wastes • Sharps/syringes/needles • Pharmaceuticals • Compressed gas cylinders (BBQ and 1-pound propane cylinders okay) • Electronics (collected at Transfer Stations in e-waste drop-off areas) • Pressure treated wood or treated wood waste (TWW)


California Permanent ID Numbers

  • Businesses that generate waste on an ongoing basis must have a permanent ID number, you must complete the required application, DTSC Form 1358. There is no fee to obtain a permanent ID number. It will take approximately 3 to 5 business days to process your application. Remember, if 5 or more tons of hazardous waste will be generated in a calendar year on your permanent ID number, generator fees may be due.
  • California Temporary ID Numbers
    Temporary ID numbers (90-day numbers) are issued to people or businesses that do not generate hazardous waste on an ongoing basis. Temporary ID numbers must now be obtained online. DTSC no longer issues temporary ID numbers by phone, only online to apply for a temporary ID number. There is no fee to obtain a temporary ID number. If you have any questions, please contact DTSC at (800) 618-6942. When you hear the recorded message, press 1 and then 3 to speak to staff. Remember if 5 or more tons of hazardous waste will be generated in a calendar year on a temporary ID number, generator fees apply.


Common questions and answers

Q. What is the process?

A. 1. Download Business Hazardous Waste Disposal Forms from this website.
2. Obtain an EPA Waste ID number (if needed).
3. Submit paperwork by fax or email to receive an appointment and pricing information.

Q. Will this program meet the disposal requirements of regulating agencies?
A. You will receive a receipt of disposal for your records that will satisfy regulatory disposal requirements. Receipts and all records should be kept for a minimum of three years.

Q. If my business generates more than 100 kilograms of one type of waste, but I have only 1 gallon of something else that my regular hauler won’t accept, can I bring it to this program?
A. You must generate less than 100 kilograms of all hazardous wastes to qualify to use this program.

Q. Does using this program mean my business will be inspected for hazardous waste?
A. Zero Waste Sonoma is not a regulatory agency.

Q. Who are the regulatory agencies for my business?
A. Contact the Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) for your area.


The following resources are provided in English and Spanish language. Click on the image to download the .pdf Visit Downloads & Graphics to download the complete 24-page 2022-2023 Zero Waste Guide.