Green building programs

Green Building is the use of construction materials and design criteria that deliver long-lasting and improved performance over conventional building practices.

California has set the national precedent in green building practices. Every three years the California Building Standards Commission adopts new and/or updated model codes. The 2010 California Green Building Standards Code (CALGreen), which took effect on January 1, 2011, required the diversion of at least 50 percent of the construction waste generated during most "new construction" projects. Subsequent amendments have expanded upon what types of construction are covered.

Effective January 1, 2014, CALGreen mandates permitted new residential and non-residential building construction, demolition and certain additions and alteration projects to recycle and/or salvage for reuse a minimum 50 percent of the nonhazardous construction and demolition (C&D) debris generated during the project (CALGreen sections 4.408, 5.408, 301.1.1 and 301.3).

Additions to non-residential buildings or structures of at least 1,000 square feet or alterations with an estimated construction cost of at least $200,000 shall divert from landfills at least 50 percent of nonhazardous C&D materials. Additions and alterations to residential buildings that increase the structure's conditioned area, volume or size are also required to meet the 50 percent minimum diversion requirement.

Check with your jurisdiction before beginning your design. For more information on CALGreen's waste diversion requirements, visit CalRecycle’s C&D Frequently Asked Questions. For quick reference, a table summarizing current and upcoming CALGreen requirements is also available.

City of Cloverdale
Building Department
(707) 894-1701

City of Cotati
Community Development
(707) 665-3637

City of Healdsburg
Planning and Building Department
(707) 431-3346

City of Petaluma
Community Development
(707) 778-4301

City of Rohnert Park
Building Department
(707) 588-2240

City of Santa Rosa Build It Green (SR-BIG)
Community Development Department
(707) 543-3234

City of Sebastopol
Building & Safety Division
(707) 823-8597

City of Sonoma
Building Department
(707) 938-3681

Town of Windsor
Planning and Building
(707) 838-5341

County of Sonoma Permit Sonoma
(707) 565-1900