Illegal dumping

Illegal dumping means leaving waste on public or private land without authorization, or into storm drains, sewers, and waterways. It has become a serious problem across the country as people try to avoid the cost or inconvenience of proper disposal.

Illegal dumping is harmful to the environment and also extremely expensive to clean up. Trash is hazardous to wildlife who may ingest it, be physically injured by it, or become trapped and entangled. Furthermore, even if the offender does not directly pay for his own waste disposal, he pays through his taxes as it usually falls on the City or County to clean it up.

For safety reasons, please do not confront offenders in person. To report illegal dumping in your area, please see below for contact information. If an email address, app, or website link is available, we recommend using those instead of calling since pictures may be attached.


Call non-emergency dispatch at (707) 894-2526. However, for dumping in a waterway, call 911

Santa Rosa

Call Transportation and Public Works at (707) 543-3800


Call non-emergency dispatch at (707) 792-4611

Call the police department at (707) 829-4400


Call Public Works at (707) 431-3346 or, if after hours, (707) 431-7000. However, for hazardous materials or dumping in a waterway, call 911

Call Public Works at (707) 938-3332

For dumping in storm drains and sewers, call the Ellis Creek Water Recycling facility at (707) 776-3777. For other dumping incidents, call non-emergency dispatch at (707) 778-4372

Unincorporated Sonoma County

Submit a report on the app "So Co Report It". Or call Public Works at (707) 565-5100 or the Sheriff's non-emergency line at (707) 565-2121

Download the iPhone App | Download the Android App

Rohnert Park

Submit a report online on the City's Civic Life webpage or on the app "GORequest". Or call non-emergency dispatch at (707) 588-2611


Email or call (707) 838-5355

Loading map...


Location pin California Bureau of Automotive Repair

NotesReport illegal automotive repair shops

Location pin California Fish and Game Cal-Tip

7329 Silverado Trail
Napa, CA 94558

NotesIf you witness a poaching or polluting incident or any fish and wildlife violation, or have information about such a violation, call the toll free CalTIP number.

Location pin California Governor's Office of Emergency Services

NotesTo report oil and chemical spills occurring in or threatening rivers, bays or wetlands. (This is also the primary reporting number for agencies such as Fish & Game, and the Regional Water Quality Control Boards.)i

Location pin City of Santa Rosa Spill Reporting Hotline

69 Stony Cir
Santa Rosa, CA 95401

NotesReport spills or dumping in city creeks within the city limits of Santa Rosa.; outside the city limits call (707) 576-1371.

Location pin North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board

5550 Skylane Blvd., Ste. A
Santa Rosa, CA 95403

NotesIllegal dumping of toxics near a creek/stream (including the Russian River to the Oregon border) NORTH OF COTATI within Region 1 in Sonoma County. To file an environmental complaint, visit If the situation is an emergency, please dial 911. Visit to determine if address is within the Board's region.

Location pin Russian River Watershed Association

Location pin Sonoma County Environmental Health Division

625 5th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95404

NotesTo report a discharge of animal waste, public pool water, or solid waste.

Location pin State of California San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board

1515 Clay St, Suite 1400
Oakland, CA 94612

NotesIllegal dumping of toxics near a creek/stream (including the Petaluma River, Sonoma Creek, related tributaries and wetlands) SOUTH OF COTATI within Region 2 in Sonoma County. The spill and complaint hotline is checked 4 times per day, even on weekends. Visit to determine if address is within the Board's region. See website for more instruction.